Our animal welfare standards are governed by the principals of animal care known as the Five Freedoms:
– Freedom from hunger & thirst
– Freedom from discomfort via access to adequate shelter
– Freedom from pain, injury & disease
– Freedom to express normal behaviour
– Freedom from fear & distress
In addition there are state and federal government laws and Codes of Practice as well as guidelines developed by the Australian Animal Health Council, and the RSPCA.
Surgical mulesing is specifically not permitted under the NewMerino® certification program. Growers are required to practice alternative strategies to manage the acknowledged fly strike risk in an Australian merino production enterprise.
Breeding strategies to develop plain bodied dual purpose merinos is encouraged.