The minimum standard requirement for NewMerino® certified suppliers are the overarching principals of animal care known as the Five Freedoms:
– Freedom from thirst and hunger
– Access to adequate shelter
– Freedom to behave naturally
– Freedom from stress, pain and fear
– Prevention or treatment for injury, disease or parasite infestation
In addition there are state government laws and Codes of Practice as well as guidelines developed by the Australian Animal Health Council, MLA and the RSPCA.
Surgical mulesing is specifically not permitted under the NewMerino® certification program. Growers are required to practice alternative strategies to manage the acknowledged fly strike risk in an Australian merino production enterprise.
Breeding strategies to develop plain bodied dual purpose merinos is encouraged.