Wool Runs on Grass
The primary inputs for wool production are water, sunshine and fertile soils to grow grass – the primary diet of sheep.
Merino production is fully sustainable provided it is operated within the carrying capacity of the ecosystem.
NewMerino® farmers are selected because they operate, or are in the process of implementing, a grazing management strategy based on long term sustainability.
The management system must embrace holistic farming principals with the goal of developing and maintaining a resilient ecosystem that can regenerate, withstand stress and rebuild itself when necessary.
Their goal is to aim for 100% ground cover all year, with a focus on perennial grasses to regenerate the ecology and increase biodiversity.
Holistic farming principles include:
* Clear goals for the people involved
* Clear goals for the land in use
* Clear goals for the business
* Clear goals for the management of livestock
The management process should involve:
* Reviewing these strategies regularly
* Making decision with these goals in mind
* Monitoring the health of your land, your business and the people involved